A wind turbine is a device that converts kinetic energy into mechanical energy. The device is commonly used in many applications including the generation of electrical power or also in mechanical operations such as pumping of water or grinding. They are normally located in areas with high wind velocity which can be able to turn the massive turbine wings. These areas can be offshore or onshore.
In the modern world wind turbines are commonly used for the generation of electricity. This is most common in countries like Britain, The Netherlands and also in the Middle East.
Efficiency of wind turbines is the reason why they are the preferred choice of electricity generation. These reasons are:
- No Carbon Emission: Most electricity generation plants produce carbon emissions that are a threat to the ozone layer. In essence diesel electricity generating stations are a hazard due to the amount of carbon they produce. On the other hand the efficiency of wind turbines is evident in this field as they produce no emissions as they depend on the wind and there is no fuel burnt.
- Steady Source of Kinetic Energy: Unlike other sources of kinetic energy used to generate torque like water. Wind is a constant source of energy as it only varies slightly with time. On the other hand sources of energy like water usually vary with seasons i.e. during the rainy season the water level in reservoirs is usually high and the hydro electric power plant usually runs at full capacity, but when there is lack of rain water level drops and power output capacity falls. Here the efficiency of the wind turbine comes into play.
- Wind Energy Is Renewable: Wind is a renewable source of energy and cannot be exhausted as compared to other forms of energy like fossil fuels. Plant that run on fossil fuels are usually very expensive to maintain due to the constant need for this types of fuel. As the fossil fuels are non-renewable sources of energy they get depleted gradually and it progressively gets expensive to acquire such kind of fuel.
- Non-pollutant: Wind energy is not a source of pollutant. The wind turbine utilizes this kind of energy to produce electrical energy from the turbines. Other forms of electricity generation plants are a source of noise and air pollution and a threat to the well being of the surrounding community. Nuclear power plants are the most unstable due to their risky nuclear emissions that are extremely dangerous. The efficiency of wind turbines can be clearly seen as it is a clean source of energy.
- Economical: Wind turbines usually utilize wind energy to facilitate the turning of the wind mill. They do not require non-renewable sources of energy like fossil fuels to turn the turbines and so, the operation cost of a wind turbine is drastically reduced.
A wind turbine station also requires very minimum supervision as there are no pressing tasks being performed at the station. Apart from that, the turbines are very safe to use and enviroment friendly. This shows the efficiency of wind turbines and the main reason why they are preferred.