Flodesign Wind Turbine is an extraordinary wind turbine developed by FloDesign Wind Turbine Co, a Massachusetts-based company. The design of this wind turbine is based on the jet engine technology and the developer ensures that this wind turbine is able to produce three times more energy than the ordinary 3-blades wind turbine for the same location, same acre of land, and same rotor size. This article will provide you with information on the benefits of using this wind turbine and several facts related to this wind turbine.
The development of this wind turbine was started from early 2008 and until now there have been various trials to test the performance and safety of this wind turbine. In early 2009, the first prototype of this wind turbine was tested at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The latest trial conducted by the developer was a trial of a 100kW pilot wind turbine on Deer Island, Boston in 2011. Various trials, including the first and the last trials, show that this wind turbine is indeed able to produce 2-3 times more electricity than conventional turbine at lower construction cost.
Benefits of using Flodesign Wind Turbine
Besides producing more energy, the developer also claims that this wind turbine offers more benefits than conventional wind turbine. The followings are several other benefits from using this wind turbine.
- The first benefit is that this wind turbine has lower construction cost as opposed to the conventional wind turbine because this turbine is designed smaller. The good thing is that although the turbine is smaller, its capability to produce higher energy is already tested through various trials.
- The second benefit is that the design of this wind turbine can minimize noise so noise pollution for the surrounding environments can be reduced. Additionally, this wind turbine is considered safer for bats and birds.
- Another benefit is that this wind turbine can operate at high wind speed, when the conventional wind turbine is usually locked down, and at low wind speed, when the conventional wind turbine does not spin. In this way, this wind turbine can still produce energy in low wind speed.
- The fourth benefit is that this wind turbine can be installed close to each other so it minimizes the use of land.
Facts on Flodesign Wind Turbine
- Besides operating in the United States, the developer of this wind turbine also operates in China and Denmark.
- The FloDesign Wind Turbine Co. (the developer of this wind turbine) is a subsidiary of FloDesign Company, a reputable company that produces components for military fighter planes and helicopters.
- The compact size of this wind turbine enables it to be developed in urban areas such as airports.
- The first turbine with a normal size is going to be developed in Massachusetts once a full fund is generated.
- In late 2008, the developer of this wind turbine became the winner of the Ignite Clean Energy Competition and the MIT Clean Energy Entrepreneurship Competition.
- It is predicted that the developer of this wind turbine is able to provide at least 150 new jobs for the next five years.
Although this wind turbine is still being developed, the previous trials were all successful. With its capability to produce more electricity with lower construction and maintenance costs, the FloDesign Wind Turbine can be the future wind turbine.
- FloDesign speeds quest for mid-size wind turbine (news.cnet.com)