Most of the solar panel grants are available for PV generated power from photovoltaic cells since it reduces reliance on power grid. Solar Grants are financial incentives subject to maximum of £2000 per kW of installed capacity or 50% of relevant costs i.e. installation costs, maintenance costs and insurance costs or upto £ 2500-£4500 per household, whichever is lowest.
To qualify for application for grants, one needs to take following steps:
- applicants must be residents of the country and the owner of the property where the solar panels may be installed
- insulation of whole property or installation e.g. 270mm of mineral wool insulation or any other alternative
- appropriate electrical & light fittings required for generation of solar energy
- cavity wall insulation in case of presence of cavity walls
- controlled heating using room thermostat & timer or programmer
- receipt of planning permission if required
One can always claim for solar grants in order to avail the following benefits:
-savings on electricity bills i.e. solar water energy is one of the highest cost-saving renewable energies that is also carbon zero in operation and one can avail 100% free electricity if the solar panels are optimised for daylight
- cutting down the carbon emission form home or business that leads to a cleaner surrounding
- tax incentives upto £25,000 over 25 years or a yearly average of tax free income of £1000 with ROI of around 8.3% per year
- unused electricity or extra electricity generated at home can be fed back to national grid and extra income can be earned at the rate of 41.3 to 43.3 per kWh
Solar PV grants are available for home as well as for business. Some solar PV grants for home in UK are as follows:
- Scotland Solar PV Grants: These are subject to a maximum of 30% of the total costs for solar panels or upto £4000 per household, whichever is lower.
- Wales & England Solar PV Grants: upto £2500
- Other Regional Solar PV Grants: There are many other regional grants available from various organisations and charities which may provide upto a maximum of £1500 in London & North West.
Solar PV Grants for Business may be: Regional Schemes: upto 50% of total costs e.g. NWDA i.e. North West Development Agency and Lancashire Small Scale Renewable Scheme offer these schemes.
Some Solar PV Grants for Community Groups, Non-Profit Organisations, Charities or Schools are:
- Grants covering feasibility study: These can be subject to 50% of cost of market research upto a maximum of £5000 to cover costs of site survey, feasibility study, report & complete system designing usually carried out by Green Energy Consultancy.
- Grants covering Installation Costs: These can be subjected to a maximum of 50% of total installation costs and available through Low Carbon Buildings Program.
Taking advantage of solar panel grants can be said to be a good choice to avail the opportunity to set up solar power system to save upon electricity bills as well generate extra income. These solar panel grants can cut down the cost of initial investment required for set up solar power systems and thus one should avail the information regarding the type and limit of solar grants available in their location to get cleaner energy.
- Guardian confirms solar is a strong investment (evoenergy.co.uk)